Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Mission: Rescue Princess


The Call
On Friday evening we received a call on our ResQ hotline from Ashutosh in Sahakar Nagar, near Teljai tekdi saying that a dog has fallen off the edge onto a ridge, is safe but is stuck since there is no path for him to come up or go down. He tried to describe the "ridge" and we kept interpreting it as we imagined. He said it was a 8 foot drop to the ridge and that there was a pile of sand at the bottom which will break the fall of the dog if he decides to jump.

I was tempted to go and look at it, assuming that it would be a simple rescue, but It was late in the evening, and Ashutosh mentioned that it might be better to attempt this in the morning since it was a jungle area.



He mentioned that it was stuck there since 2 nights and 2 days and he has been feeding it. we decided that he would feed it tonight as well.

Over-Prepared?
When Rupal was discussing the action plan with Neha around 8 PM, Neha instructed Rupal to take along all what we have, not clearly knowing what to expect in such a situation. It was a valuable input from Neha actually prompting us to be over-prepared. This includes a body harness, butterly net, rope, kit etc. We also decided that we must have a rope to support this operation. I rushed to a hardware store and bought 30 feet of a think nylon rope (initially I thought that since it was a 8 feet drop, 16 feet might be enough). In hind sight I feel glad I bought the 30 feet rope.

The operation
I was joined by Rupal, Niketa and Utkarsh to form a team of 4 along with Asutosh. When we reached the spot, I couldnt believe how we had imagined something so different from what we saw. This spot was on the tekdi (hill), on a vertical stone/mud wall of about 40 feet total. This dog was at about 15 from the top on a mud ledge, sitting peacefully. We assessed the situation, and evaluated several options...1. approach from the bottom (ruled out due to height and no way to climb), 2. approach from the left side...ruled out since no path or hold available to reach the spot...3. approach from the top...decided.

Asutosh mentioned that forest officials had come and had given up after a half hearted attempt to coax the dog out. They had no equipment and were least interested to follow through on the action. When we assessed the situation, not an iota of doubt crossed our mind that we were gong back without completing this rescue.



We went to the spot right above the dog. I looked around and found a small very narrow exposed path leading almost upto the dog. I decided to try it out. I decended and started carefully walking towards the spot. Was precarious. At about 10 feet from the dog, there was no foot hold and also nothing to hold on to. OK time to call out the equipment. I told my team to drop the rope so I can hang on to it. They secured the rope to a sturdy tree and dropped the rope, so I can hang on to it and move ahead. This way I managed to reach the dog. The dog was quite tired and drowsy already. She growled at me until I stood there and let her smell me. By then Rupal had created a sedation shot and a gauze muzzle and tossed it me tied to a rope. I quickly muzzled it, sedated it and let it pass out.

Now we pondered over how to pull it up. We tried first to harness it using a human body harness, but I soon realised that it wont work out...the dog might slip out. we then put it into our butterfly net which was tied to the rope, and the dog was carefully pulled up. What was happening on top, I wasnt too sure, except that they were doing a damm good job of coordinating with me.

Then, came the challenge to pull me out. I decided that it would be best to go back the same way I had come. But now the rope was wet, muddy (it had started raining), so I didnt trust myself to use it go back over the open fall area with no foot hold. I decided to use the body harness (thank god for that). Niketa expertly guided me to get into the harness, secure it tightly and passed the thick rope through the hook. Now very carefully I started to cross over towards the path...slipped just when I reached the spot, hung by the harness and simply was flung back right where I started, rolling along the mountain face, knocking my head, shoulder and what not else. Thank god that my team had the presense of mind to keep the rope taught. Must have been quite a strain for Utkarsh and Rupal to hang on to the rope to hold my body suspended in mid air. I got back my foot hold and we decided that I should go straight up, the same way the dog had gone.

Niketa gave me instructions on rappling, but I couldnt bring myself to let go and trust the rope. Mind you, this whole operation and all that we were doing (barring the muzzling and sedation) was a first time for all of us. They simply started pulling while I kept pushing my legs on whatever hold I got. At the top, Asutosh gave me a hand and dragged me up.

The result
Alls well that ends well. The dog was taken to the kennels and released back to the same locality by the evening.

The reprimand
In all that excitement, I had taken over completely. I took all the decisions including taking the dog back to the kennels despite having no space in the kennels. I took this decision, not clinically, but kind of assuming that the dog since its been out for 2 days and nights without water would be dehydrated and weak and would need medical attention. But at the volunteer meet, Neha made us realise that despite such a great effort to save Princess, we had violated basic protocol like not consulting the vet about the condition of the dog, not considering that we dont have space in the kennels, not considering that Asutosh could have looked after it for a day and released it himself (on site). I for one shall be more aware of this, for sure. She made us realise that in the heat of the moment, or excitement, we have to still be with the basics and follow protocol always.

Team work
Neha - for insisting that we be over prepared and buy the rope.
Rupal - for her continuous encouragment, helping to pull the rope, carry the dog back.
Niketa - expert guidance on use of body harness, rappling.
Utkarsh - For using his strength to pull Princess and me up.
Asutosh - for caring to standby the dog, call us, assist in the operation by handling the rope and pulling me up in the end.
Sunil - for taking charge, and directing the whole operation.
There was no ego play here. Everybody played to their strengths and complimented each other. It were 2 intense hours.

Power of Intent
The end was in mind. The dog had to be pulled out. We found a way. The universe/Divinity brought resources and conditions together to help this happen through us.

The dog was so beautiful.
We unanimously named her Princess.

1 comment:

  1. Simply great work!
    Congratulations and, best wishes for future endeavours!

    ReplyDelete