Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Its raining, its pouring...



Sitting at my window watching the rain.
Garam chai, bhajiyas...perfect.

Then I look down, and see a little puppy running all over the street. The watchman in the building opposite mine is shooing the pup as he tries to enter the building for shelter.
...and my heart breaks.

I go down and speak to buildings secretary/chairman (I'm not sure who it was - but definitely someone who controlled the watchman I had a slighhhhttt arguement with!).

So I convince him to allow me to make a temporary shelter for the pup for 'just a few days'.

He's apprehensive...his reply to me, "Yeh kutta idhar sey nahi gaya toh??"

I say "Uncle, free mey security guard mil gaya na phir aapko?"

Uncle still looked very apprehensive. I promised him free medical check-ups and vaccinations for the dog and then he looked 80% convinced. I told him I'd look for a good family for him and try to re-home him if possible. He looked 99% convinced. I told him I'd make the temporary shelter myself. He was 100% convinced.

This is how I made it and this how you ALL can make it for all those puppy litters you see getting drenched in the rain. It takes very little effort and a lot of convincing to building society members. BUT...its worth it.

Steps to make a Temporary Shelter for pups

What you need:
- Big cardboard box (you can get this from us)
- Thick brown tape or any duct tape
- Large plastic shopping bags/ plastic sheets / garage bin bags

Procedure:
1) With the cellotapes stick the top closing flaps of the cardboard box to its sides to make the side walls of the box stronger.

2) Spread the plastic (bag or sheets) on the entire outer portion of the box and stick them with the tape. Atleast stick two to three layers of plastic to ensure that water doesnt creep in.

3) Tilt the box so that the open top acts like an entrance for the pup inside the box.

4) Place more plastic sheets over the box and pen down the sheets to the ground with some stones on the sides to ensure that the box won't topple over with the pup's weight.

5) Place this set-up against a wall so that it has support.

6) Place the pup inside and watch it curl up as it rests in peace.



Need help or need materials? Call us on our rescue helpline 9890334433

Wags,
Neha @RESQ

No comments:

Post a Comment